Much of today's activewear is made of resistant fabrics that hold their shape are breathable and stretchy,
wrinkle-resistant and durable; the ideal material for sport. That being said, many of these fabrics will outlive us and can take up to 200 years to decompose. More people are looking to sustianable and as well as ethical brands who treat their employees fairly and give back to communities who need it most. We have come up with our favourite activewear brands that are either sustainable, ethical or both!
1. Ruby Moon
RubyMoon works with Healthyseas.org to reclaim waste in the form of fishing nets and plastic waste to help boost our seas’ biodiversity. And whilst turning waste materials into beautiful garments, their carbon footprint is 42% less than similar products. Their versatile mix and match Gym To Swim ® collection means that you don’t have to buy so many different items for different sports activities with a range that does it all. Not only to RubyMoon help the environment, but they also help women too. 100% of the net profits made are given to women across 13 different countries as a micro-loan to launch their business generating an income for them and their family to find a path out of poverty.
2. Adidas by Stella McCartney
Stella McCartney takes her eco-friendly philosophy from her fashion brand to her range with Adidas. The activewear range uses fabrics such as organic cotton and recycled yarn; and innovations like the Adidas DryDye technology – which uses no water at all to dye clothing. The range includes specific Low Waste products which are created with100% no waste: 95% of fabric is used during pattern cutting and the other 5% is recycled or repurposed.
3. OYSHO Sport
OYSHO Sport is committed to a future that respects the planet. Working with suppliers who guarantee high quality and minimal environmental impact OYSHO are able to supply beautiful activewear that does not compromise the environment. All packaging for online orders is made from recycles materials including their envelopes, cardboard boxes, and fabric bags which are made from 100% recycled plastics.
Designed and made in London, Adrenna produces beautiful activewear that does not compromise function for sustainability or visa versa. Adrenna activewear is designed to maximize self-impact while minimizing environmental impact. Every piece is made to order using the finest technical eco-fabrics, meaning there is less waste and more happy customers.
This London based athleisure brand provides a range of lounge and yoga wear made from bamboo, organic cotton, and Bambor which is their own bamboo and cotton blend. Each item is manufactured in a GOTS-certified family-run factory where each of its employees is treated fairly and given a fair wage.